Norsk Titanium (ESD Owner’s Representative)
The Norwegian company, Norsk Titanium, has established a US subsidiary in Plattsburgh, New York. Norsk will further establish a US headquarters, production, and development facility at a new North Country Hub for Innovative Manufacturing Nanotechnology in Plattsburgh, where the company will produce titanium components for aerospace and other industries through its proprietary Rapid Plasma Deposition additive manufacturing process. This project will expand New York’s high-tech corridor from Western New York to the North Country. Empire State Development’s (ESD) role in this project is to administer $125 million in State funds that have been appropriated for the project and made available as a grant to Fort Schuyler Management Corporation (FSMC).
A&C’s role as Owner’s Representative was oversight, supervision, and monitoring of construction subcontracting, construction activities, construction progress, and the use of ESD grant funds.
The project consisted of the construction of a 100,000 sf multi-purpose building at the site of the former Plattsburgh Airport. The new facility includes headquarters, administrative, development, and production space. Construction occurred where the former airport’s terminal buildings once stood. The Professional Services provided to ESD included assisting with the following tasks:
- Review of project budget and monthly payment applications
- Field verification of level of completeness
- Cost estimating & project cost control reporting when applicable
- Insuring project maintains design/construction schedules
- Change order, claims, & risk management
- MWBE compliance and reporting
- Review bidding of subcontracts and/or vendors to ensure compliance with established protocols
- Provide weekly summaries of activity on each project
- Review of submittals and management of submittal process
- Auditing certified payroll
- Management of owner third party contracts associated with project if required (inspections, estimating services, expeditors, etc.)
- Quality assurance and control planning and implementation
- Ensuring proper record keeping on project
In addition, A&C inspected the project sites, monitored the progress of the project, attend project related meetings, and/or perform other ad-hoc services relating to the construction project as directed by ESD.